The FATOS2U project emerges in light of young citizens’ exposure to large-scale misinformation, including misleading or outright false information. It aims to enable young people to develop their critical thinking, strengthen democracy and fight manipulation, propaganda and fake news. In this context, it expects citizens to participate responsibly in matters of major social interest (e.g. COVID-19).
FATOS2U involves 6 partners (ASDPESO, CSI CENTER FOR SOCIAL INNOVATION, Xenios Polis, Culture, Science and Action, GRIPEN EUROPE, Compass – Beratung, Begleitung und Training Gemeinnützige, Mine Vaganti) from 6 different countries (Portugal, Cyprus, Greece, Romania, Austria, Italy).
The main objectives of the project are:
- To provide young people with the opportunity to navigate correctly and “ethically” in the modern news era and to make informed decisions.
- To empower young people and enhance their awareness on dealing with the consequences of disinformation campaigns and fake news spread through digital mass media on issues of major and mainstream interest to their society.
- To educate young people to foster a critical appreciation and understanding of the media within a rapidly changing and increasingly multi-layered media & news landscape.
- To determine a clear and inclusive educational approach to address the spread and impact of online fake news in Europe, protecting European values, democratic systems and young people’s right to a wide variety of trustworthy information on current affairs.
- To hold young users accountable in line with the specific roles of different sectors (social platforms, news media and users, language used, etc.)